Aerial photo of east campus circa 1928

 

Penn Connects 2.0: A Vision for the Future

Penn Connects: A Vision for the Future set out an exciting blueprint for the Penn campus. This 2006 plan was a direct response to the Penn Compact and the campus wide opportunities presented by the acquisition of the former US Post Office Building at 30th and Market Streets, the Post Office Annex, and 14 acres of land along the Schuylkill River. It provided clear recommendations for incorporating these postal acquisitions into the campus, establishing a major physical presence for Penn along the Schuylkill River, and for creating new connections between the campus and Center City.

Since 2006, Penn has completed nearly all of the projects set out as part of the Phase 1 implementation plan, resulting in a far-reaching, positive impact on the campus and community beyond. The renewed vision of Penn Connects 2.0 builds upon the accomplishments of Phase 1 and the acquisition of a 23-acre former industrial parcel located at 3401 Grays Ferry Avenue, just south of campus along the Schuylkill River, now known as Pennovation Works. Penn Connects 2.0 enhances and reinforces the planning and design vision for the campus in response to emerging sustainability goals.

View a video of achievements.

 

Penn Connects 1.0

Penn Connects was an inspiring and achievable vision for the future of the entire campus and, in particular, the new and existing land in the east. It set forth a vision rooted in the tradition and history of the campus; one which extends and enhances the successes of previous planning and design initiatives that have transformed the campus, such as the creation of Locust and Woodland Walks and Blanche Levy Park.

The Plan recommended creating civic and openspace; identifying land use and development zones; and improving physical connections for pedestrians, automobiles, and bicycles.

View the complete plan.